Calling all particle physicists, designers, open source ninjas, molecular biologists, students, programmers, and rocket scientists to join forces at Science Hack Day Houston 2016!
What: Science Hack Day Houston is two-day event where anyone who is excited about making things with science are welcome, to get together and create an experimental prototype within 30 consecutive hours. Join us and make, hack, or invent cool stuff. No experience in science or hacking is necessary, just an insatiable curiosity.
When: April 2-3, 2016 (exact schedule here)
Where: The Houston Museum of Natural Science, 5555 Hermann Park Dr, Houston, TX 77030
Public Transit: The MetroRail is $1.25 and 8 min walk from Hermann Park/Rice U station to the museum.
Parking: We suggest the HMNS Garage for all-weekend, overnight parking. We will give participants a coupon with a discount for this garage. For free three hour parking you can park at the Garden Center Lot or the Houston Zoo lots.
What to expect: Science Hack Day is a hackathon with a twist – anyone interested in science can share their thoughts, find a team, and form multidisciplinary teams of about 2-5 individuals to learn something new, have fun, and create a mind-blowing prototype within 30 hours. The idea is to mash up ideas, mediums, industries and people to create sparks for future ideas, collaborations and inspirations to launch from. When participants arrive, there will be a few speakers and an hour of brainstorming and proposing hack ideas. You can pitch ideas, or join up with projects you’re interested in. After that, teams are free to get to work on their hacks. On Sunday afternoon, everyone will reconvene to check out the hacks and award prizes to the favorites. Register (free) individually or with a team; and start preparing yourself mentally.
The hacks: Have a great project in mind? Science Hack Day is a great place to work with eager Houstonians with all sorts of skills and hobbies to bring your ideas to life. It’s OK if you don’t arrive with hack ideas, we need all the creative minds we can find to help contribute in whatever way they can.
What to bring:
- Bring your laptop and charger and/or anything you would like to hack. We will have some gadgets you can borrow to hack.
- Do not bring food or beverages. We will provide all meals – please take a look at the schedule. If you have a dietary restriction, please contact the SHDH committee here.
- Bring a sweater – the museum can get very cold.
- You will have to bring a guardian if you are underage.
- Bring a sleeping bag and a cover, the floor at the Museum is hard and cold, so you will definitely need a pad to spread out beneath any sleeping bags.
- Bring a sleeping mask most lights will be on through the night.
- Bring some toiletries – it feels nice to change out your contacts and brush your teeth.
- A change of clothes will feel good the next day
For more information please go to ScienceHackDayHouston.com.